For many people, varicose veins are little more than a nuisance. They can be unsightly, and they may cause minor discomfort, but nothing more.
However, varicose veins that are left untreated may worsen and cause other venous conditions, some of which can be very serious. That’s why it’s important to see a vein care specialist for an accurate diagnosis to see if treatment may be necessary.
Possible complications of untreated varicose veins can include pain, fatigue, and swelling of the legs and ankles as minor symptoms. More serious conditions can include:
- Hyperpigmentation, where blood pools beneath the skin and creates a dark discoloration.
- Lipdermosclerosis, in which inflammation from veins cause fat and skin to ultimately take on a woody firmness.
- Spontanenous bleeding of damaged veins and the skin above them thins and they are exposed.
- Venous leg ulcers, where poor blood flow causes painful sores that are difficult to heal.
- Superficial thrombophlebitis, inflamed veins caused by decreased blood flow. This condition can cause pain, redness, and swelling.
- Deep vein thrombosis, a very serious condition that can occur in older people, people who have had recent surgery, or people who are inactive. Deep vein thrombosis can cause serious pain and swelling. It can also cause clotting. Blood clots can break loose and travel to the heart and lungs, causing death.
Vein Specialists of Tennessee has been treating patients in Knoxville for decades, and we’ve helped people with all types of vein conditions. We provide a variety of treatments, and with early diagnosis of vein disorders, can provide information on lifestyle changes that can help patients avoid further disease progression.
If you’re concerned about vein appearance, pain, fatigue or swelling in your legs, call us or click for an appointment. We’ll help you determine if treatment is needed, and may help you avoid future problems.